New Gorbals Housing Association is a dynamic community controlled housing association established in 1989 by a group of local residents. The Association now owns and manages over 2,500 homes for social rent in the Gorbals, Scotland and factors 1,600 privately owned properties.
The Hutcheson Estate, located on the edge of Glasgow comprises of 276 properties, over two tower blocks receiving heat from a central heating system. Hutcheson Town previously had a Switch2 EMS PAYG solution installed for residents to pay for their heat and hot water bills; with residents topping-up their old meters at one local shop. The systems were due a serious upgrade as it was over 10 years old and needing regular repair works carried out. New Gorbals also required a service provider to deliver an end to end solution which included operation and maintenance to the energy centre and properties.
New Gorbals contacted Switch2 to upgrade the heat network infrastructure. This included:
- Heat meters with MBus metering and the G6 PAYG unit
- Updating PAYG services
- Maintenance and operations throughout
- Biannual checks to the HIU and prepayment valve
The complete end to end service provided by Switch2 comprises:
- 276 properties over two tower blocks
- the maintenance and operation of one main energy centre that serves two plant rooms providing heat and hot water to each dwelling
- Within each property Switch2 provided the heat interface unit, heat meter and G6 PAYG unit
- Service maintenance on plant room, energy centre and dwellings and district heat pipework with a 24 hour response commitment
The residents are now enjoying a constant level of heat and hot water, and paying for only the heat and hot water that is being used. Switch2 continue to maintain the heat network for the tower block, including the energy centre, with all key performance indicators set by New Gorbals being met.