The government believes its initiative to roll out smart meters to all homes by 2020 is key to achieving a low-carbon, efficient, and reliable way of providing gas and electricity to the UK.
Why smart meters?
Smart meters put consumers in control of their energy use, allowing them to adopt energy efficiency measures that can help save money on their energy bills.
Smart meter benefits for the customer:
- Smart meters give customers real time information on energy use
- Customers will be able to better manage and understand their energy use, save money and reduce emissions
- Smart meters will bring an end to estimated billing – customers will only be billed for the energy actually used, helping them budget better
- They offer transparency on the cost so that the customer knows exactly what they are paying for
Smart meter benefits for the landlord:
- They provide the data required to help the heat network operator optimise the network’s performance and identify problems early
- They allow operators to deliver outstanding customer service, with half hourly profiles for energy, volume and flow & return temperatures
- Smart meters are at the vanguard of improved heat network design, providing demand and diversity data that is key for ensuring schemes are designed correctly and not oversized
Smart meters and community heating
In some ways community heating is technologically more advanced than the gas and electricity market, with smart meters being available to community heating customers for many years.
Switch2 customers have been benefitting from smart meters since 2012 with the launch of our G6 system.
The G6 can operate in PAYG or credit billing mode. It has an in-home display with graphs which demonstrates usage and trends in system use. It communicates with the customer – customers can receive messages through the G6 about credit, top ups, network uptime and updates to the system.
Our latest innovation, Incontro, goes even further, combining cost and control for customers by incorporating a programmer and enhanced usage information, which educates and informs the customer about usage and drives changes in behaviour, cutting bills and CO2.
Switch2 has led the way in smart metering for community heating customers, which began over 25 years ago with the development of its first prepayment meter. From then we have worked with our clients and customers to develop innovative solutions to benefit all parties and ultimately work towards reducing carbon emissions in the UK.